101 Dalmations

101 Dalmations

Hundred day

Hundred day
Polka Dots galore

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sad day

It is a sad day for me. The fabric store I have worked for the last 9 years is closing tomorrow at 4:00. I just hate to see another fabric store close. Yes they do have 2 more stores but not as close. If you have local stores please patronise them. If only for notions. Before we know it we will only have big chains and we will be at their mercy. I know I can buy on line but I still love to feel the fabric. I think sewing is coming back but not fast enough to save some stores. They need our help. We will be the losers if stores close. OK I will get off my soapbox and have a good cry. This was my dream job. I sold sewing machines and got paid to sew and play on machines all day. Maybe I will get more sewing done now.

3 comments:

  1. It is always sad to see a beloved small store close. I think it is just harder and harder for them to sell enough to pay their expenses. But a great option is selling online. That is why I don't buy my fabric from the big box stores. Instead, I belong to a few online fabric coops or I buy from Etsy. I am giving a small time seller some income and getting better quality fabric, more variety, and better prices! It is a win-win situation.

    So, don't fear! You will never be at the mercy of the big stores as long as women find creative ways to make a living from fabric and notions. Email me if you want to know more about which coops are good and which etsy stores are nice.

    hennessyorama@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's even worse in the UK... I swear, if it wasn't for the Asian fabric shops, there'd be no bricks & mortar fabric stores outside of London here at all. I shop a lot online but for notions, I stay local. And I usually leave with some fabric too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, if our local store ever goes under I don't know what I'll do.

    ReplyDelete